May 2, 2011

Coconut Cupcakes w/ Coconut Buttercream

DSC_0038If you like coconut, you will love these cupcakes.  They are seriously delicious.  And every time I make them, they turn out. I even love them without frosting!  If I want a coconut treat, this is what I’ll make.  The cake is so moist, and I absolutely love the coconut flavor from the milk and shredded coconut.  Then to top it off, the frosting is rich, and smells divine.  

Coconut Cupcakes (From Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes book) makes about 20

1 3/4 C all purpose flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 C packed sweetened shredded coconut

3/4 C (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp (I use salted and omit the salt)

1 1/3 C Sugar

2 large whole eggs plus 2 egg whites, room temp

1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

3/4 C unsweetened coconut milk (I find mine in the Asian food isle. I shake the can before I open it, then stir it all up before using it. After that, I stick what’s left in the fridge to use for my next batch something else)

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with liners
  • Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
  • Pulse shredded coconut in a food processor until finely ground, and whisk into flour mixture
  • With an electric mixer on med-hi, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
  • Gradually beat in whole eggs, whites and vanilla, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
  • Reduce speed to low, add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with 2 additions of coconut milk, and beating until combined after each.
  • Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling 3/4 full. Bake about 20 minutes (I only baked mine for 16) Remove from oven and turn out onto wire racks to cool completely
  • DSC_0035and if you want to eat them all right now, I totally don’t blame you.

    Martha uses a 7 min frosting in her book, but I decided to try a coconut buttercream instead.

    Coconut Buttercream (Adapted from one of Martha’s basic buttercreams)

    1 stick butter room temp

    1 1/2 C powdered sugar

    1/2 tsp coconut extract

    1/4 tsp vanilla extract

    1-2 Tblsp whipping cream (or milk)

  • cream the butter (hand or standing mixer works fine)
  • add the powdered sugar, 1/2 C at a time, mixing it in completely before adding more
  • mix in the extracts
  • to thin it out a bit, for easier spreading or piping, add some milk or cream
  • **I only frosted about 1/2 the cupcakes with this recipe. 

    So if you want them all frosted, double the recipe, or just put less frosting on each cake**

    DSC_0039I used Wilton tip 1M in a disposable pastry bag to pipe the tops

    DSC_0041And then I thoroughly enjoyed one! (or maybe two…)

    2 comments:

    Mindi said...

    Yum! I love how you crossed out the line about using coconut milk for your next batch, er, something else :). I was in charge of bringing cake to our Mother's Day/Family Birthday celebration tonight. I just bought a Costco cake and I seriously regretted it. It just didn't taste very good, but I kept eating it and eating it hoping it would start to taste as good as I thought it should (I guess two weeks off sugar will do that to me). But these cupcakes...oh yes, I will make these and enjoy eating every one. Haha.

    Jenn said...

    Uh-Mazing!! I want to lick my screen!!! How do you get your buttercream so beautifully smooth?!? It is picture perfect!!!