August 24, 2011

Apple Cake Pops

It’s back to school time!  This is our first official school year, I dropped off my oldest this morning for her first day of kindergarten.  She was absolutely beyond excited, we’ve been counting down for over week.  I wanted to make it a special day, so that each year my kids will hopefully look forward to back to school, instead of dreading it. 

DSC_0051

My kids LOVE ‘pop cakes’ (that’s what they call em) so they were very excited to see some apple ones.  Not sure if they made the connection with apples=school, but oh well.  I’m actually not even positive I know why apples=school, but it seems like they do.  It was the perfect little treat for my daughter’s first lunch at school.  My daughter also shared with her new teacher while I was dropping her off, and my almost 2 yr old tried to grab the cake pop back from the teacher :)

DSC_0050

Apple Cake Pops (inspired from Bakerella)

basic cake pop tutorial

baked cake + 3/4 C whipping cream

lollipop sticks

red candy melts

pretzel sticks (the straight ones): break off an end to stick in for the stem

green candy melts (or green leaf shaped sprinkles of some kind)

    • Instead of rolling the cake mixture into round balls, try to make them shaped more like an apple.  I did thinner on bottom, and fatter on top, with an indent where the pretzel stick would go.  I also poked a hole in the middle of the indent with a lollipop stick. 

      I made my own leaves with green candy melts: 

      DSC_0062

    • melt green candy melts in a disposable piping bag, cut off the tip, then pipe leaves onto wax paper.  After the candy melts harden, they come right off.  It was fun practicing piping, and since I made so many I got to pick my favorites.

    • After they are chilled, dip them into melted red candy melts, and stick in the pretzel and leaf before the red candy hardens.

      DSC_0063

      There you go!  I hope everyone has a smooth transition during this busy time of year!!

    DSC_0060

    8 comments:

    Rebecca said...

    um, you are genius! These are so cute

    Stephanie Doyle said...

    Those are the cutest cake pops I have ever seen, Lauren!!

    Tyler and Brandie said...

    Those are the sweetest back to school treats ever!!! Good work!

    Cookbook Queen said...

    These are too adorable!! And I LOVE your photos. You are very talented :)

    Ali said...

    What a nice way to get your kids back to school :) the apple pops look so good, I wish my kids would lok forward to school like yours.

    Jenn said...

    It amazes me how many things you can do with cake pops! I love this idea and they look amazing.

    Anonymous said...

    Looking for alternative "glue" instead of icing. I didn't care for the sweetness or consistency of the cake/frosting combo. Your apple pops are adorable!

    Apples were often given to teachers as gifts by the students, hence the teacher/apple connection.

    Lauren said...

    I use whipping cream with chocolate cake, I think it's delicious. There is lots more details at http://fredellicious.blogspot.com/2011/04/cake-pops-and-bites.html?m=1